Sunday

you win...



I found a copy of a marketing magazine in my office the other day that had a list of companies that won all different types of marketing awards. There were a few that particularly jumped out at me and had me thinking of this course.



The ad that I want to focus on was created by DDB Canada, based in Toronto for Bosch Home Appliances. The point that Bosch wanted to get across is that they had more efficient appliances compared to their competition.

The theme of the advertisement was the damage that all of our appliances are doing to the environment. When we describe this theme in words, we think of fog, haze, darkness, pollution, garbage, dreary etc… A couple colours that come to mind are black and brown.

In terms of layout, I think we can clearly see why it won an award. Talk about simple. One beautiful picture, depicting what the future may look like if we don’t do anything about the environment, that really makes you feel bad for what we are doing to the planet. The text is aligned horizontally – along with the horizon in the picture. There is quite a bit of white space used in this ad as well that guides your eyes from building to sky to the text.

I especially like how the BOSCH logo pops out of the advertisement. Great use of colour contrast.


1 comment:

  1. What a great ad.
    I think some of it's power comes from the fact that it doesn't take us too far over the edge of concern into complete despair for the environment. It's a pretty subtle message that you are allowed to discover for yourself as you scan the image.

    ReplyDelete