Sunday

magazine or book?

I am a huge food enthusiast... love preparing, cooking and eating food.


Around my house you will find a good selection of textbooks, magazines and publications, all dedicated to food and drink. As I stumbled down my stairs this morning in search of something to get my mind going...I was confronted with many choices... magazine, book or computer. I didn't want to get lost in the web quite this early, so I decided on print.


Food magazine or food book, hmmmm...


To me it was a no brainer...food magazine. So I picked up the Food & Drink magazine from the LCBO and was immediatley taken to a smokey backyard bbq with the sounds of sizzling meat, the smell of smokey charcol and the taste of a cold, refreshing beer.

For me, the magazine contains lots of visual representations (form) of what the text (content) is trying to do. Contrary to the book, that is only texted, the magazine engages me by attacking all my senses, beginning with sight and letting me play from their.


Maybe its a matter of new school vs. old school. Either way, the book is going to be collecting a lot of dust.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 14, 2009

    I'd like to add my vote for the power of text - you've got me thinking of supper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew,

    I like your posting.... You have a way with words! Like Linda, reading your post made me hungry!

    As a foodie, you must also like the Food Network. Think of how the FN titillates the senses and tantalizes the viewer in a way that perhaps a magazine can't. This effect is similarly created online, if a site is done well.

    Oh look at that ... it's lunch time!

    Thanks for your post!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete